Forum

JiFile for Joomla!

JIFile
JiFile is a component for Joomla! that allows you to index file contents (PDF, DOC, etc..) to perform searches in them.

Learn more...  Demo

JoomPhoto Mobile

JPhotoMobile
JoomPhoto Mobile is a component for Joomla! that allows you to share the photos from your Android device to your site Joomla.

Learn more...  Demo

iFile Framework

IFile
IFile is an open source framework written entirely in PHP, allows the indexing of textual content of a document (DOC, PDF, EXCEL, etc.) and a quick search within them.

Learn more...  Demo

Easy Language

EasyLanguage
Easy Language is a plugin for easy and immediate management of multilingual texts in every possible area of joomla, articles, components, modules, metadata, template, other components(example K2) etc.

Learn more...

Article Book Effect

Article Book Effect
View Joomla articles with the effect turns the page of a book. This plugin will display the contents of an article in Joomla as a real book or magazine, using all the benefits of HTML5

Learn more...  Demo

Passport photo

Passport photo
The most popular Android app that allows you to print photos cards for your documents with your Android smartphone, in a simple and intuitive way.

Learn more...

Crazy Shadow

Crazy Shadow
Crazy Shadow is the 3D fast-paced and fun puzzle Android game! Try to rotate and drag shapes in the position of their shadows without fail! Solve in succession all combinations of levels of the game.

Learn more...

Admin Countdown

Admin Countdown
Module for Joomla! 2.5 and 3.x displays in the administration part of the site, a timer with countdown of the time remaining in your session.

Learn more...  Demo

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: No result if body contains special (German) chars

No result if body contains special (German) chars 03 Mar 2014 00:10 #1666

• Lisa
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there,

first of all: we love jifile.

But: We do have a problem here which is to do with umlaut characters (ä, ö, ...) in Word / XLS documents.

Excel: The "body retrieved" contains the HTML representation (like ä) of the special characters - I don't know why.
Word: The "body retrieved" contains some strange squares instead of the special characters.

I tried setting the body field to "text", which gives me a "body stored" with ä etc. displayed correctly. But if I search for a word with a special character which is in the "body stored" I don't get any results in the frontend.

I am using JiFile 1.0.9 on Joomla 2.5.9 on a remote LAMP server.
My configuration and a test file is attached. I tried several configurations (like almost anything, playing around with the encoding settings etc., I also had the body field set to UnStored, UnIndexed and Text), and did a lot of research on the internet, but I found nothing relevant to my problem...

Thanks for any advice!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 03 Mar 2014 00:11 by Lisa.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

No result if body contains special (German) chars 03 Mar 2014 10:09 #1667

• Giampaolo
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 43
Hi,
the problem is that JiFile (for now) for xls document works only with ISO-8859-1 encoding. For Word you can use "Antiword" for indexing correctly your documents with the special encoding.

We started to study a solution for XLS and we think to integrate this in next release of JiFile.

For now you can open a ticket at isApp.it Siupport Team:
www.isapp.it/en/support-ticket.html

and send us one document Word (and the xls that is present in this topic) and we verify if is possible find a workaround at this problem.
If you like, if it was useful, consider a donation, Thanks
Se vuoi, se ti siamo stati utili, considera una donazione, Grazie
Help us by voting our extensions on Joomla.org:
JiFile
JoomPhoto Mobile
Easy Language

No result if body contains special (German) chars 13 Mar 2014 13:19 #1671

...actually we (I work with Lisa) have the problem wherever ÜÖÄüöä appear, even in PDF documents.

We updated to JiFile 2.1

I tried any possible configuration for the character encoding, but no success.
I'm fine not having ÜÖÄüöä in filenames, but inside the documents those characters will always appear in our company.

Is there any possible fix/test/attempt on the short term?

No result if body contains special (German) chars 13 Mar 2014 13:26 #1672

...Lisa, did you already open a ticket?
Last Edit: 13 Mar 2014 13:27 by Massimo Frison.

No result if body contains special (German) chars 13 Mar 2014 14:32 #1673

• Giampaolo
  • Administrator
Hi,
we not found the Lisa ticket. We response in this Topic.
If you have another problem you need open a ticket with the object of this topic.

----
The problem in many case is the configuration of the JiFile "encoding".

Remember that each document could have different encoding.
When you indexing one document (or N° documents) you must define encoding type to read this document and type encoding for convert this encoding in the "Analyzer Encoding" defined in the Configuration.

I'll explain:

Now the XPDF, of default, reads the content of the PDF file, in ISO-8859-1 (or Windows 1252 or Latin-1), and buffer this in ISO-8859-1 encoding.

If the Analyzer is set in "UTF8_CaseInsensitive" (remember that this field should never be changed), JiFile must convert the buffered content ( ISO-8859-1) in UTF8. To do this, you must define encoding of the document in field "Encoding" in JiFile configuration.

If your "PDF" document is in another type of encoding, you must configure the XPDF for read and buffer the content in this encoding.

This is possible in the configuration of JiFile, changed the encoding of the xpdfrc on the Configuration section.

Another possibility is to change manually the file xpdfrc (if you use JiFiel 2.x) you can find this file in:
administrator\com_jifile\libraries\ifile\adapter\helpers\binaries\xpdfrc\xpdfrc

Warning: the "xpdfrc" file, should not have extension.

For more information you can read englis documentation (download document PDF):

www.isapp.it/en/jifile-documentation.html

Or Italian documentation:

www.isapp.it/it/documentazione-jifile/scarica-pdf.html
JiFile
JoomPhoto Mobile
Easy Language

No result if body contains special (German) chars 07 Apr 2014 17:52 #1692

• Lisa
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm still working on this one. Sorry that I didn't open a ticket yet... I did some more debugging and discovered that the file is found in one condition: The word you are searching for comes before the first special character. Anything after the first special character won't be found. Due to the fact that these characters have an HTML representation (which usually end with a ';' - like ü) maybe it disturbs the query somehow. But this is just an assumption.

I'll open ticket now.

No result if body contains special (German) chars 10 Apr 2014 12:51 #1697

• Giampaolo
  • Administrator
Hi,
we received your ticket.
We send you a response in few day, sorry for delay.
Thanks
JiFile
JoomPhoto Mobile
Easy Language

No result if body contains special (German) chars 23 Apr 2014 09:55 #1718

• Lisa
  • Fresh Boarder
so, another workaround: replace any special chars in search querys with an asterisk (*).