Forum

JiFile for Joomla!

JIFile
JiFile is a component for Joomla! that allows you to index file contents (PDF, DOC, etc..) to perform searches in them.

Learn more...  Demo

JoomPhoto Mobile

JPhotoMobile
JoomPhoto Mobile is a component for Joomla! that allows you to share the photos from your Android device to your site Joomla.

Learn more...  Demo

iFile Framework

IFile
IFile is an open source framework written entirely in PHP, allows the indexing of textual content of a document (DOC, PDF, EXCEL, etc.) and a quick search within them.

Learn more...  Demo

Easy Language

EasyLanguage
Easy Language is a plugin for easy and immediate management of multilingual texts in every possible area of joomla, articles, components, modules, metadata, template, other components(example K2) etc.

Learn more...

Article Book Effect

Article Book Effect
View Joomla articles with the effect turns the page of a book. This plugin will display the contents of an article in Joomla as a real book or magazine, using all the benefits of HTML5

Learn more...  Demo

Passport photo

Passport photo
The most popular Android app that allows you to print photos cards for your documents with your Android smartphone, in a simple and intuitive way.

Learn more...

Crazy Shadow

Crazy Shadow
Crazy Shadow is the 3D fast-paced and fun puzzle Android game! Try to rotate and drag shapes in the position of their shadows without fail! Solve in succession all combinations of levels of the game.

Learn more...

Admin Countdown

Admin Countdown
Module for Joomla! 2.5 and 3.x displays in the administration part of the site, a timer with countdown of the time remaining in your session.

Learn more...  Demo

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Index full text automatically

Index full text automatically 29 Dec 2011 23:02 #34

• Trivix
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I've been successful in configuring JiFile with my Joomla 1.7 and indexing 1 out of 2 PDF files that I place in the Ifile folder. I have been successful in searching for this PDF using keywords that are in the title and the first couple lines of the document (Introductory Text), but I am unable to search the whole content. How can I search the entire PDF document? Please excuse me for not reading the documentation as I am not fluent in Italian. Thank you and Gratzie!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Index full text automatically 29 Dec 2011 23:26 #35

• Antonio
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 66
JiFile already indexes the full text automatically.
The content of the document is only "indexed" and not historicized as is done for the field "introtext" (which displays only the first 200 characters of the full text), you can search over all content, but not you can view it.
If you like, if it was useful, consider a donation, Thanks
Se vuoi, se ti siamo stati utili, considera una donazione, Grazie
Help us by voting our extensions on Joomla.org:
JiFile
JoomPhoto Mobile
Easy Language
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trivix

Re: Index full text automatically 30 Dec 2011 17:14 #44

• Trivix
  • Fresh Boarder
I cleared the cache, removed the indexes, and tried again. My searches for content-wide worked the second time around. Thanks for your help!

Re: Index full text automatically 06 Jan 2012 19:33 #70

• Trivix
  • Fresh Boarder
How difficult would it be to implement a feature where the content keyword and context is displayed in the results? In other words, if my PDF was indexed in the system and I wanted to search the middle of this document, then the results will have the word(s) highlighted in the results similar to what happens when you search for words that are included in the first 200 words (intro text).

This is essentially what you described in your above post, but I am wondering how much effort it would be to implement this feature and if its going to be included in the next version of JiFile. Again, Thanks for your great work. This is the only PDF indexer in Joomla that works!

Re: Index full text automatically 07 Jan 2012 11:17 #72

• Antonio
  • Administrator
It can be done easily, but there are disadvantages:
  • requires much more disk space
  • requires much more time indexing
  • Research slower

We are doing some tests, just finished, I tell you what changes compared with the current indexation.
JiFile
JoomPhoto Mobile
Easy Language
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2012 13:51 by Antonio.

Re: Index full text automatically 07 Jan 2012 14:00 #73

• Antonio
  • Administrator
Hello,
I did a test with 10 files for a total of 10 Mb:
  • the original indexation (body not historicized)
    the index is 948 KB
  • modified indexation (body historicized)
    the index is 3.13 Mb
    and the search is slower than some seconds

Interested in anyway historicize the content?
JiFile
JoomPhoto Mobile
Easy Language
The following user(s) said Thank You: crony, Trivix

Re: Index full text automatically 07 Jan 2012 23:25 #74

• crony
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello,

I think it's better to see the words. Even if it's a bit slower, if you have multiple documents with the same terms you've got the words into their context.
So the user experience will be better because he'll get the proper document faster ! (and not downloading all of them to catch the good one)
Also, maybe with a faster server it will be okay...
I'm also thinking about a way to optimize using a kind of multisite feature / symbolic links, to deport the search on an other server.
The documents could be in folder from the main site, but will be a symbolic link to an other server where the files should be stored.
The indexing would be on the same database of course. (didn't check if you are storing into database, but I guess yes)
The administrator/com_jifile and libraries/ifile will be also symbolic links.
While searching from the mainsite, the other server will search faster, because of access disk, apache busy doing (almost)one thing : running the framework.

Re: Index full text automatically 07 Jan 2012 23:49 #77

• Antonio
  • Administrator
I wrote that the search became slower than some seconds for 10 documents, I dont know how much time could increase with more documents.

JiFile use iFile with the Lucene search engine that doesn't work on databases but builds its index on the filesystem to use a particular search algorithm.

So you may try to put the folder index "ifile_index" on faster server.
Unfortunately we do not have the means to do these tests.
JiFile
JoomPhoto Mobile
Easy Language
  • Page: